In 2013, Nebraska, teenage drivers accounted for almost a quarter of all reported crashes and over 10% of all traffic fatalities. These numbers are even more shocking considering teens only represented 7.1% of all licensed drivers.
Teaching teens to drive safely is the goal of the National Safety Council, Nebraska (NSCN). The Nebraska Office of Highway Safety confirms that students who complete driver education are less likely to be issued a citation or be involved in an accident.
NSCN’s driver education program is DMV approved; uses late model, clean vehicles; is taught by highly qualified, experienced instructors; and is offered at convenient locations across the Omaha area.
This excellent driver training program will help teens learn the rules of the road and how to safely operate a vehicle.
- Defensive driving
- Consequences of distracted driving, alcohol, and drug use when driving
- Identifying hazards and sharing the road with pedestrians, motorcyclists, cyclists, and trucks
- Residential, city, business, and interstate driving
- Dealing with emergency situations
- Driving in inclement weather
- How to handle peer pressure
Steps to Safe Driving
- Prior to taking class, apply for and receive your Nebraska Learner's Permit (LPD). The DMV interactive online test is a great way to prepare teens for their written test. Take the practice test here.
- Register for National Safety Council, Nebraska Driver Education
- Choose preferred location.
- Choose preferred drive times.
- Practice before class begins. Supervised driving practice before, during, and after class will help you gain knowledge and confidence.
Other Important InformationDriver Education FAQ Tips for Parents of Teen Drivers
Students receive 20 hours of classroom instruction and four to five hours of behind-the-wheel instruction (BTW) which is supervised by a state certified driver education endorsed instructor. The BTW sessions vary & there are several choices. When you click to register, follow the steps and you will see the BTW sessions listed by day and time. We look forward to working with your teen!
National Safety Council, Nebraska - 11620 M Circle
Millard North - 1010 S. 144th Street
Millard South - 14905 Q. Street
Millard West - 5710 S. 176th Ave.
Omaha Bryan - 4700 Giles Road
Omaha Burke - 12200 Burke Blvd
Omaha Central High - 124 N. 20th Street
Omaha Northwest - 8204 Crown Point Ave
Omaha South - 4519 S. 24th Street
Fall/Spring School Year sessions, Winter Break session and Summer sessions