In 2013, Nebraska, teenage drivers accounted for almost a quarter of all reported crashes and over 10% of all traffic fatalities. These numbers are even more shocking considering teens only represented 7.1% of all licensed drivers.
Teaching teens to drive safely is the goal of the National Safety Council, Nebraska (NSCN). The Nebraska Office of Highway Safety confirms that students who complete driver education are less likely to be issued a citation or be involved in an accident.
NSCN’s driver education program is DMV approved; uses late model, clean vehicles; is taught by highly qualified, experienced instructors; and is offered at convenient locations across the Omaha area.
This excellent driver training program will help teens learn the rules of the road and how to safely operate a vehicle.
- Defensive driving
- Consequences of distracted driving, alcohol, and drug use when driving
- Identifying hazards and sharing the road with pedestrians, motorcyclists, cyclists, and trucks
- Residential, city, business, and interstate driving
- Dealing with emergency situations
- Driving in inclement weather
- How to handle peer pressure
Steps to Safe Driving
- Prior to taking class, apply for and receive your Nebraska Learner's Permit (LPD). The DMV interactive online test is a great way to prepare teens for their written test: http://www.dmv.ne.gov/examining/aaa/inter.html
- Register for National Safety Council, Nebraska Driver Education
- Choose preferred location.
- Choose preferred drive times.
- Practice before class begins. Supervised driving practice before, during, and after class will help you gain knowledge and confidence.
Other Important InformationDriver Education FAQ Tips for Parents of Teen Drivers
Students receive 20 hours of classroom instruction and four to five hours of behind-the-wheel instruction (BTW) which is supervised by a state certified driver education endorsed instructor. The classroom sessions are always from 8 am to 1 pm. The BTW sessions vary, there are several choices, when you click to register, follow the steps and you'll see the BTW sessions will be listed by day and time. [Ex. A) Mon/Tues from 4-6 pm during the school year schedule and for the Winter Break and summer sessions Ex. A) 8 am -10 am on the dates listed] We look forward to working with your teen!
National Safety Council, Nebraska - 11620 M Circle
Elkhorn High - 1401 Veteran’s Drive
Elkhorn South High - 20303 Blue Sage Parkway
Millard North - 1010 S. 144th Street
Millard South - 14905 Q. Street
Millard West - 5710 S. 176th Ave.
Omaha Benson - 5120 Maple Street
Omaha Bryan - 4700 Giles Road
Omaha Burke - 12200 Burke Blvd
Omaha Central High - 124 N. 20th Street
Omaha North High - 4410 N. 36th Street
Omaha Northwest - 8204 Crown Point Ave
Omaha South - 4519 S. 24th Street
Fall/Spring School Year sessions, Winter Break session and Summer sessions