Motorycycle Safety Training FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

I have no driver license, or an expired license. Can I take course?

To earn your endorsement, you must have a valid Nebraska driver license at the time of course. If your license is not valid for any reason at the start of course, the DMV will refuse to add your endorsement.

Do I need to obtain a Motorcycle Learner’s Permit?

No. A motorcycle learner's permit is not required for any motorcycle riding course.

What is a motorcycle endorsement?

An M endorsement authorizes a license holder to operate a motorcycle, scooter or three-wheel/three-track motor vehicle. The MZ endorsement is for scooter or three-wheel only. 

How old do I have to be to take the course?

Minimum age is 17. Individuals under 18 may not apply until they have held a Provisional Operator’s Permit (POP) for at least 12 months and have not accumulated three or more points on their driving record during the previous 12 month period.  Exception, those with a POP (under age 18) can obtain their motorcycle endorsement at age 16 and can take the course at age 15.

I have a driver license from a state other than Nebraska. Can I take the course?

Your state may accept our program for your home state's endorsement. You'll need to check with them before taking the course.

Iowa residents can take the course; however, online registration is not available. You will also need to contact the Iowa State Rider Education Director first. Then contact our office at 402-898-7371 to register.

Contact information for the Iowa Rider Education Director is:

ABATE of Iowa, BRC Training

Attn: Rider Education Director

Phone: 515-320-3847

I'm in the military with a Nebraska Driver License or Learner's Permit. Can I enroll?

There may be an option for you to have the course provided through Offutt AFB. Contact 55th Wing Ground Safety for details. If that option is not available to you, you may enroll through the civilian program.

I'm in the military with an out of state license. Can I enroll?

There may be an option for you to have the course provided through Offutt AFB. Contact 55th Wing Ground Safety for details. The laws of your home state will determine if the endorsement would be added to your driver license. If that option is not available to you, you may enroll through the civilian program.

Do I need to own or borrow a motorcycle?

For the BRC no. We provide the motorcycles.

For the BRC2, yes. You use your own motorcycle.

For the SBRC, yes. You use your own scooter.

If you are borrowing a bike or scooter we will need proof of insurance and a written and signed permission slip from the owner of the bike prior to beginning the course.

What gear do I need on the range?

All riders will need a helmet, eye protection (eyeglasses and sunglasses are acceptable), long sleeve shirt / jacket, long pants, full-finger gloves (preferably leather), and over-the-ankle footwear.

What else do I need to bring to the range?

You must bring water and we recommend you wear sunscreen.

Can I ride my motorcycle or scooter to the range?

We do not determine which vehicle you should ride to the range. However, if you aren't licensed you shouldn't be riding on the street.

What about inclement weather?

We will usually ride some of the range exercises in the rain, so be sure to bring rain gear. However, heavy downpours, hail, or lightning will force us to re-schedule range sessions. High heat conditions may cause us to move to earlier or later in the day to avoid the peak heat hours. The RiderCoaches will determine any rescheduling circumstances.

Can I reschedule or cancel my course?

Motorcycle safety training courses fill up fast. Advise us as soon as possible if you need to reschedule or cancel. All changes are subject to our Reschedule/Refund policy. We reserve the right to change or cancel courses. If a course is canceled, you can reschedule or receive a refund.

Am I eligible for insurance discounts?

Some insurers will offer discounts to graduates of our program. Ask if your carrier offers a discount for completing a Motorcycle Safety Foundation Course.

Are helmets required?

Yes. According to Nebraska law, helmets are required to be worn by all riders and passengers whenever they are on a motorcycle, scooter, or trike. 

National Safety Council,

11620 M Circle

Omaha, NE 68137 

E :

P : 402.896.0454

F : 402.896.6331

Toll-Free : 800.592.9004 

Office Hours: Mon-Fri 8am - 4:30pm

In Person Registration: Mon-Fri 8am - 5pm

Employee Scheduling Software

© 2018 National Safety Council, Nebraska. All Rights Reserved.